Engaging Teachers

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

The skills and mindsets I think students can benefit from.Please add to the list and let us know how you can develop such a skill

May 17, 2010 by denizozdeniz · 4 Comments · Uncategorized

Forward planning, decision making, prioritising, time management and meeting deadlines, networking and interpersonnel communication & problem solving. 

Prioritising Traditional EFL activities such as balloon debates, pyramid discussions and desert island survival or  Nasa survival ( Keep Talking, Penny Urr) are good ranking activities which require students to order items according to their value in a given situation.

Activity  What’s in it for me?

Give students a list of 8 things you can give them/ do for them, but say that they can only chose 3 of them. They have to then decide which 3 they will go for and justify their decision in writing. If you are satisfied that they have priotised the 3 most important things for them that day, then give the student what they have asked for e.g. leaving the lesson 5 minutes early, a no homework voucher for 1 piece of homework, chocolate, permission to phone someone during the lesson etc. The same activity done in pairs also adds a negotiation element to the activity as students must agree on the same 3 things to request. The langauge element of the activity can be emphasised by providing the students with useful phrases and sentence stems e.g. I would like to get the ————- because…………,

The ——————- appeals to me most because………………….. , Which one should we select? My priority would be……………..

4 Comments so far ↓

• carolyn

Even in primary we are supposed to be consciously teaching them some of those skills (at a very basic level) and it is v imp in the Brit curriculum these days to have children’s I can / I know objectives on the board and, for older grades than mine, ON every piece of work so that they are constantly assessing their work , effort etc against clear criteria and personal objectives. They rate their own learning, peers’ and then the T gets a look-in!
    Makes sense as these are the skills that will serve all the way through academic and then work life.n the curriculum there are learning objectives for each thing/ unit we teach. We (in Primary) have to put this into “childspeak” I can goals. These are on the board or at least in view and explicitly spoken before the lesson and the older kids write them on every piece of work with the date. At the end of the lesson/ period /work there is a time of self- peer and or Teacher assessment.

The children’s personal aims are used in Lit particularly so that thery are working towards objectives according to their own needs.

There is also assessment by the ts for the ts that allows us to plan lessons accordingly.

Assessment does not all have to be written (in fact better not so it does all turn to Turkish type tests) The new thing is anecdotal eveidence: from post-it notes during discussion to video-ed interviews or activities to just evidence: meaning pictures, ICT files etc.

Examples: Lit week 29 above I have written what I am going to doin the lesson, the children’s I CAN objectives (these I list on the b/b and focus on before we start, I have started asking them to write it on work too.(..but we have only really got to the stage where this does not take most of the lesson time). In the last column are the Assessing Pupils’ progress aims from the Nat Curriculum, specific to Writing (Writing assessment for learning*), Speaking and Listening or Reading.
    At the end of the lesson I go back to the board and ask if we feel we have (this is our system based on traffic lights, I guess) earned a green (achieved) yellow (partially-achieved) or pink (Not achieved …I hate red so insisted on pink) smiley face as a class. Then we put that on. If it has not been we think about why not.

Then I put it into my planning head for the next week/ lesson etc and use the info to inform how to go about making it more acheivable for everyone.

For individual work we have individual aims and they focus on that in the task (Ican join up all my letters doc). At the end they check that before we look at it together and they tell me how successful they have been. then they colour the face according to the code: with one addtiion We have a big, juicy N for really neat and tidy writing

• John

Development of reflective skills – Activities that encourage students to think about the skills they have been practicing may help to encourage a better understanding of how they are learning. This might include self or peer feedback on writing work using specific criteria.

Alternatively students can be encouraged to consider how skills they use in one activitiy or situation might be transfered to another. For example recently I did a practice interview activity where part of the feedback focused on students use of body language eye contact etc…. and as a follow up students were asked to consider how the effective use of body language might also help them when giving a presentation.

Getting students to think more about their skills development this may help to encourage a more active mindset in learning.

• francis gordon

For me record keeping of what has been done in class is very important. Students need to recycle material and refer to it when writing or speaking about connected topics. Learners need to write the date, book used, unit and target skill, topic or langauge area at the start of the lesson. Keeping good records and labelling things clearly helps with time management and revision.

• emmajanegrey

There are lots of games from modern tv shows such as survivors, treasure hunt, pop idol which can be debated over as science idol, leader of the century etc which require students to make and justify their decisions. Maze games require students to make on the spot decisions.